Sunday, December 04, 2011

What's so bad about drinking alone?

So I stayed in last night as I usually do on the weekends. I was playing some BF3 while curled up on the couch with the lights down low, in my pajamas, and having an otherwise very relaxing evening. I had some beer in the fridge and I decided to open one while I played my game and enjoyed a quiet evening.

Well, naturally, one turned into two, then three and so on until I was feeling pretty good. Actually, I was drunk to perfectly honest.

So I continued on like this, until it was finally time for bed around 2am. I took a preemptive Advil for the morning, drank some water, and had a great sleep. So I wake up today and while I'm feeling it a little, it's nothing like would have happened had I gone to the bar. There's a couple of empties in the living room, had to wipe up some ashes off the table from where apparently I bumped the ash tray, but otherwise, everything is good.

So my question is, what the hell is wrong with that? Yes, I got drunk alone. But I wasn't staggering drunk, I didn't hurt myself, I wasn't curled up in a ball at the end of the night crying my woes away as many people are want to imagine when the phrase "drinking alone" is uttered. No, I had a good night. I got a buzz on, I spent the evening very relaxed doing something I enjoy and had a wonderful sleep at the end of it.

So where's the problem? We all know the hazards of drinking, particularly drinking in public, but I avoided them all last night. I didn't make an ass of myself in front of anyone, I didn't wake up remembering some conversation that I desperately wish I hadn't had. There was no checking my bank account to see "how much did I blow last night?". I really don't see the issue here.

I don't feel like I was being anti social, well at least no more than usual. I enjoy my private little life. I don't have any particular need to have dozens of different people with whom to go out with every weekend, nor do I feel "lonely" when I'm sitting home alone on the weekend.

So I've decided that "drinking alone" is no longer going to carry the depressing, sad context that is socially accepted for most. There's no more "I drank alone last night". From now on it's simply "I drank last night". Who did I drink with? Me.

(And the dog was there too)

No comments:

Post a Comment